Sunday, June 29, 2008

Week 7 (63.7) - No shoes in Barton!

I took Monday morning off and tried to sleep in, but it didn't work. My internal alarm clock went off at 5:15 anyway. I did make it to the gym that night, and did some leg work. On Tuesday, after running 9+ miles, I eased into Barton to soak for 10 minutes and some guy with a big belly and a tiny speedo hollered "Oh my God!! You didn't just get into the water with your socks on!" While I was defending myself, an older, gray-haired Asian woman swam over and said "I wish you runners would shower before you got in the water. It's disgusting!" Rogues Bruce and Larry were standing around, so I was hoping that the shower comment was aimed at all of us and not just me.

Here's my thoughts on sweat in Barton - it's 99% water with trace amounts of electrolytes, mostly sodium. On the other hand, sometimes high levels of fecal coliform force the pool to close. Thankfully, both the e-coli and trace electrolytes are whisked away as up to 31 million gallons flow through the springs everyday. As I was getting out to shower and get dressed for work, the lady (who obviously had excellent eyesight) hollered from 50 feet away - "Oh no!!! Tell me you didn't just wear your shoes in the pool!!!" She attracted quite a bit of attention with this one, so I ducked my head and crept out, past speedo man and other people that I'm too embarrassed to look in the eye.

That afternoon I sent an e-mail to the Barton Springs Aquatics, who said that shoes were permitted, just not on the diving board. No comment on sweat. I did make the decision to shower before I get into the pool and to take off my shoes. But my wish list for other morning swimmers is for the speedo guy to cover himself up, and the lady to wear a swim cap. On Wednesday, I ran 8, showered and walked down to the pool in my flip-flops. The speedo guy had won. And he was there, so I gave him a really dirty look, but then I got to thinking that maybe his job sucked, or he had a kid who was having problems in school or he had a sick parent or something, so I let him off the hook.

On Thursday, I ran 8+ with Roger. Speedo guy and crazy lady were both there, and crazy lady looked mad again, so we jumped in (without shoes) then quickly jumped out and left. On Friday, crazy lady was having the disgusting shoes conversation with another poor guy, telling him that she's contacted the City Council, and he looks totally mortified, so I jump into the conversation and tell her about what Aquatics had said earlier, and that sweat is 99% water and that I think she should put her hair in a swim cap. She looks at me like I'm insane.

Saturday, Roger, Mike and I run 20+. It's hot and I'm very sore - ankles and knees mostly. I finish a couple minutes back of them. I think my body knows it has to run on Sunday, so it's saving some energy. I thought I'd be ready this time. I had pizza for lunch, ate oatmeal at midnight and had a gel in the morning. After an ice bath, I felt back to normal. On Sunday, Leticia rode with me. Her bike was all tuned up ...and had a set of new tires. But at the seven mile point, the whole gear assembly fell off. I ran ahead, retreived her car and drove back to the 7-11 on Riverside to pick her up. So, instead of running 15, I ended up with 10 or so, but that's probably fine since I'm hoping to run 13+ miles each day Friday through Sunday next week.

I've got 249.3 miles for the month. I'll have to do at least a mile tomorrow.

10 comments:

MW said...

I absolutely, positively cannot wait for one of them to talk to me one of these mornings! I'm already starting to work on my comebacks. (thanks for contacting Aquatics so I know the rules). I'm not going to shower, unless everyone showers. And just the other day, i purposely walked into the pool in my shoes because they were filthy dirty from all the Trail dirt accumulation.

250 for the month! Nice job!

Shorey said...

Crazy lady probably has very low self-esteem and feels completely worthless and unimportant out of the pool. Her only source of "power" is bossing people around. I would say you should just walk around and do stuff there like you own the place.

Jeff French said...

Or maybe the guy's speedo was too tight, and he couldn't think clearly.

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, there are a lot of crazy folks at BS but you're wearing your shoes in the pool?!?!

I would give you a hard time....

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to show up at the pool with my sneakers on. You taught me that trick Scott, and I'm not giving it up. Cool blog BTW, thanks for sharing.

mikemac said...

It's not Scott's job in our little running group to be rude, it's mine. I'll take care of both of those wierdos at BS. Swimming in 68 degree water on a regular basis will add a thin layer of fat to the body which has obviously reached these two people's brains. If they think they're not sweating and God knows what else under that water than they are uninformed. Can't wait to get real dirty and sweaty Saturday and then show up at the Springs!

kirsten said...

I never shower...in fact I get me shoes off as quick as I can and get in while I''m still sweating heavily. My legs are covered in traildust. For crying out loud...Barton Springs is pretty much a river.
I have never been harrassed though, in fact pretty much everyone is pretty nice. I'm skipping Barton Springs this week but will be prepared for the harrassment in the future.

Left of the Right said...

Just pee in the water next time.

Ed and Kate Burgess said...

Barb Edwards and I encountered an old lady who told us the same thing, but I just said "Right!" and got in the pool without showering. At least she didn't become violent... The next time I'm going to report her to the staff and demand they remove her from the pool. WE have a right to enjoy Barton Springs too!

Unknown said...

How else would we get our shoes clean? I have to admit when going to the springs to soak this morning I walked in with my shoes on and looked for someone to scold me...dang! no one did.