Sunday, June 8, 2008

Week 4 (58.5) - Hot miles and purple hair

Amanda's hair is now purple, but it's not a particularly shocking color. In fact, it's starting to look fairly natural to me. I'm pretty much forgetting about it ...until we run into someone who hasn't seen it yet and they stumble and fumble for something to say, while I try and decide for the thousandth time if I'm a good parent. I meant to take a picture so I could post it. Maybe next time.

I've gone to the gym three times now and have picked out half a dozen leg-oriented machines to use. I'm probably lifting more than I should just so I don't seem too wimpy, but I'm at least making it a point to stay consistent with the amount that I hoist ...which really isn't much.

I'm way ahead of the run schedule ...and should know better than to add miles this quickly, especially with the nagging ankle thing still bothering me. But, I'm already having doubts as to whether four months is enough time build the kind of base I need. I took Monday off, but still managed to total nearly 58 miles. And as I sit here on the couch, I'm trying to decide if it would do me more good than harm to run another five tonight. Then, maybe I could sleep in tomorrow morning.

The heat and humidity is incredible. All of my runs now start at Barton and end at the Springs. Tuesday through Friday were all variations of the 7 mile trail loop at something approaching a 7:15 to 7:30 pace. On Saturday, we got started at 6:15. I suggested that we run the Campus/Mt Bonn loop in reverse which allowed Mike, Greg and Roger to blame me for every hill we came across. I thought the change was good and will probably do it again as one of my second long runs on Sunday. I felt sluggish for most of the run, but took a tangerine GU at the 10 mile mark and perked up enough to race Mike the last two miles at a silly 6:20 pace.

Amanda has been sleeping until noon, giving me time to nap on Saturdays. On the weekday's that I have her, she gets up at 5:30 a.m. It's sounds cruel, but she springs right up and gets in the car. I'm not sure if I could train with any consistency if she wasn't so willing to do this.

Sunday was another test. After 15+ on Saturday, I took a three ice bag bath which pretty much did away with muscle and joint pain entirely by Sunday. I was happy that my iPod worked, but it was drained with 40 minutes of running around the neighborhood. Still, I got in 10.6 miles and felt like if it wasn't 85 degrees by 10:00, I could have tacked on another 3 or so. I quickly drank two 20 oz gatorades and soaked in a tub of cool water for 15 minutes and feel good, albeit completely drained now.

I plan on running eight tomorrow. That'll be 66 in 7 days. Too much for my body, but good for confidence. Next weekend, I need to try and get in 30 in consecutive days. A+ work for me in the Vitamin and Glucosmine consumption dept.

2 comments:

Ed and Kate Burgess said...

Purple hair? Speaking for our generation, at least she still has hair she can dye!

GREAT idea to soak in Barton Springs after your runs! After last week, I now know how bacon feels!

kirsten said...

That's why I run when it is dark except for Wed afternoons...and if the sun is out it had better be a short run. Barton Springs was my friend during last years DC.
Purple hair is temporary...an ugly tattoo or piercing can be permanent. So encourage the temporary stuff so hopefully she doesn't feel compelled to do the other!