Sunday, June 1, 2008

Week 3 - Gaining momentum

I'm thinking that I must be a once-a-week poster, which probably isn't a bad thing since I have tons of other things I should be doing. So, for the week, I covered 51 miles; no intervals, no tempo, just miles. In a sense, it's like taking a break; moving my feet forward; building a base; might not do any intervals in June at all. Depends.

On Tuesday at HEB, my 16-year old daughter Amanda told me that her mother didn't like the new hair color she'd picked out. When I asked her what color it was, she pulled a purple shampoo bottle off the shelf. It still took me a minute or so to comprehend that purple was the color of choice for the summer. We talked about how her mother was probably concerned about how other people would judge Amanda, who countered by saying that she thought her mother was more concerned about how people would judge her. Although this was a good point, I was also wondering how I'd be judged. Would I be a better parent to say no? And what would happen if I did?

I planned on taking Wednesday morning off, but changed my mind. I needed a run.

Every run during the week started at the Barton parking lot and ended in the springs with a soak. My ankle(s) still hurt but not as much. I still can't figure this out. On Thursday, I used all the ice in the freezer for an ankle bath.

On Saturday, Roger, Greg, Mike and I decided to start at 6:45 instead of 7:00. This'll work its way back to 6:00 in no time. The plan was for 14 up toward Mt Bonnell, and although we weren't sure what turn to make from mile to mile, my Garmin read 14.1 when we ended at Barton. Afterwards, I went to Fit Sports(?), Fit City(?) for the ARC meeting where their plan was to announce the Sprint Series winners. I won the Master's division, edged out always-strong Scott Birk, but not too many of us guys actually ran the series, so I felt like an imposter. Plus, Mike Budde was the overall winner and he's 41, so I didn't really win Master's anyway. Plus, super-Master Keith Dowland was there eating tacos, as if to say I could have kicked everyone's ass if I wanted to. I've never gone to the Distance Challange year end wrap up and seldom stay for post race awards, but figured it was convenient and there was free food, but it took a long time to get started and I had a lawn to mow, so I was really anxious by the time they finally announced the winners and didn't get home until after 11:00. No time for my post long run nap. I hate it when this happens.

On track. Very motivated. I've already abandoned the schedule; not a schedule person at all, but fully expect to end June with 60+ mile weeks. And that would be about double a normal June for me.

No comments: