Sunday, June 15, 2008

Week 5 (61.8) - This one hurt

My mind has taken leave this week. On Tuesday morning, I forgot to bring work clothes with me to change into after the Barton dip. I have a ton on unused vacation time, so coming in to the office at 9:30 isn't a big deal, except that I hired a new guy this week, and I hate to set a bad example. On Wednesday, I brought two different dress shoes. This isn't quite as stupid as it sounds as they are both standard black business man shoes. You'd have to look close to see a difference. On Friday, I realized that I'd run out of towels and had to dry off with a couple of t-shirts. I'm usually pretty good at getting ready the night before. Not this week. Other than the preparation issues, I had no problem getting up and out four of five weekdays.

Saturday, Mike, Roger and I ran a terribly tough 17.5 Scenic/Hancock/Campus loop. It really hurt me. In retrospect, the salad I had on Friday night was my downfall. I just ran out of fuel. I don't ever eat breakfast and had just one Gel. Since I'd planned on doing two long runs over the weekend, the recovery day was critical. The first step was a ice bath -30 pounds of ice - my teeth were chattering. Then, a two-hour nap. I usually sleep about six hours a night, which doesn't seem to be nearly enough when training big. And lots of food. Leticia and I ate pizza Saturday night. Then on Sunday, she volunteered to ride along with me as I tried to do 14. Her chain kept slipping off as we rode up and down Rollingwood Hills. I made it 11.5 miles before stopping, then finished the last stretch at a crawl. Still, almost 62 miles for the week and back-to-back long runs totally 31.5. Another ice bath on Sunday and another long nap before flying to Fort Lauderdale for a conference. I don't intend to run, but packed shoes and shorts anyway.

2 comments:

kirsten said...

Scott I have tremendous respect for you. I can't imagine running that sort of milage especially with all those hills.
As far as Amanda goes, I have a young (24) employee whose boyfriend worked with us 2 days before I got rid of him. She told me this week that he (at at least 300lbs) told her she was fat and she needed to do something about it. Of course she was upset but used it as a spring board to join weight watchers and start exercising. She also told me about behaviors he uses to completely control her. I suggested she pack her bags and get her own place...the guy is no good. I hope she does. Keep supporting Amanda and help her find things to do where she will meet a better guy and where she does stuff for herself. That control stuff is bad, bad news!

Sadie J said...

It was nice seeing you on the trail on Sunday morning. It must have been nice having someone ride with you.

Nice blog!