Sunday, July 6, 2008

Week 8 (62.6) - The first mini trip



I dug up some old mileage logs to get some perspective on my training - during the serious training years, from 2000 to 2005, I logged a total of 8 months above 200 miles ...with a high of 228. I only counted three long runs of 20 miles or more in 2003 when I ran a marathon PR. The quality workouts were very fast, but not long. I got pushed continually by Floyd Watson and Mike Woo and I chased Richard Mendez on race day. Most summers, I ran less than 100 miles per month. So, it's all uncharted waters here. I'm really intrigued by the massive miles that the Rogue Performance Project is doing, but am not sure it'd work for me. Still, I'm watching the experiment closely. Good luck Geezer, Bruce, Mike and Ken.
I took Monday and Tuesday off again, although Tuesday's break was unintentional as I had an early flight to Dallas and a late night. On Wednesday, I noticed a weird pattern emerging - I felt really crummy after the two-day rest, and struggled through the familiar Town Lake seven mile loop. No more two day rests if I can help it. Thursday's 7.8 mile run is identical to Wednesday's except that I feel less stiff and less sore. ...hmmm. But both days are filler since this week is all about the "mini-triple".

Thursday after work, I went to Kneads for a massage from Rachel, who's excellent by the way. On Friday, I ate a Tangerine gel for breakfast and brought two with me. The weather was cool despite the fact that I overslept and didn't get to Barton until almost 7:00. I really didn't have much of a plan except to run at least 13. I did 14. ...total struggle. I'm bored and know that I've got two more long runs to go this weekend. So my knees hurt. But my ankles seem to be getting better. After a rare paid dip in the springs, I picked up a couple bags of ice for a chilly bath, drank two slim-fasts, ate some Bear Naked grains and a powerbar. I feel like I'm doing a bit better with my eating. Not great. Long nap.

Saturday, Roger had a 18-mile route in mind for Mike, Greg and the Black Shorts Running Club. David Weaver joined us for the first six miles and pushed the pace to what felt like 7:15. As much as I love running with David, I was glad to slow down when he headed back to the Rock. We ended up doing 19 at a 7:30'ish pace. It wasn't easy. Roger saved me at the cleaners by sharing his last Gu, which was plain, a flavor that I'd always imagined tasted like Vaseline, but it was really more like marshmallow. I finished well behind Mike and Greg, but it was very encouraging. After a soak in Barton, a three-bag ice bath, consuming a variety of food and beverages and downing a couple of Advil, I took a two hour nap.

Sunday I didn't know what to expect from my body, but oddly enough, I wasn't sore at all. I'd planned on putting on headphones and doing the 10-mile loop plus four, but ran into Paul and Cindy Salazar, James Allen, Jennifer Stewart, Danny Spoonts and a few other familiar faces and ended up running my 14 with them for a three-day total of 47. During the run, Paul told me that he'd run a trans-Rocky ultra last summer and that although he was really stiff and sore at the start of his day two, he was able to run through it. I love hearing this kind of talk. But honestly, I'm not worried about not being able to run the entire distance unless I screw up and run way too fast on day one ...which could definitely happen.

No comments: