Sunday, September 21, 2008

Week 19 (27.8) - 5 days to ...gulp!

The collapsing financial markets have turned my world upside-down. I'll spare the ugly details. But, I was hugely surprised at how the stress manifested itself in a whole series of aches and pains - neck, back, knees, ankles...

So, after the Lehman and Merrill news (and a harrowing driving lesson with Amanda in which she got the brake and gas mixed up while backing out of the driveway) I hobbled through 5.2 miles on Monday in a woeful 45 minutes (don't bother with the math, it's slow) and with AIG about to crash and the Reserve Fund "breaking the buck", I jogged the same route in just over 42 minutes the next day. On Wednesday, I quit after 3.8 agonizing miles in the neighborhood and walked slowly back to the house. Thursday, Floyd Watson and I had a long talk about the markets and life and by Friday (thanks in part to Paulson and Bernanke's proposed bailout - don't blame these two guys, they just put out the fire) I was feeling loose enough to do 5.2 in 38:35 (felt much faster than this). I've been guessing on the actual mileage ever since my Garmin crapped out two months ago, but just bought a new 301 for $115 on E-bay.

Saturday, I did 8.4, running part of the way with Peter Gallimore and the Black Shorts . That night, Greg Thomas hosted a little Salmon grill "good luck Tahoe" get-together. Mike and Roger gave me a survival gift pack that included Red Bull, Twinkies, a first-aid kit, a gel toe protector, NBA head and wrist bands, Advil, an LCD cap light, a Ben Gay patch, Cottenelle fresh wipes and sanitary toilet seat covers. Thanks again guys. Although the Twinkies have a 40-year shelf life, I enjoyed them with a glass of cold milk while watching the Cardinal/Redskin game. It had been at least 30 years since I last ate this particular golden snack cake with cream filling.

I started a list of things to bring. So far, I have -

1) Sunglasses
2) Electrolytes
3) Band aids
4) My new water bottle (I've never ran with one of these things)
5) Camera
6) Funnel
7) Nail clippers
8) Body-glide
9) NBA wrist and head-bands
10) Advil
11) Laptop
12) "the Stick"
13) Water shoes
14) Sunscreen
15) Carbo-Pro powder
16) Chargers for cell and blackberry
17) Gloves
18) Ear muffs
19) Bathing suit
20) Ben Gay heat patch
21) Gel toe protector
22) Cottonelle wipes

Leticia and I doubled-checked hotel (3-Peaks $79 per night), rental car (Advantage $32 per day for a Malibu or similar) and air (Southwest into Reno - repaid rewards). I still need to cancel the Statesman, find someone to look in on Jack the cat and get a replacement for my Friday meals route. We won't get into Nevada until Thursday night - probably not the greatest idea in the world, but time is tight. A bonus is that the new seasons of "Grey's Anatomy" and "the Office" start Thursday and "the Amazing Race" starts on Sunday night. Although Leticia plans to try the mountain zip-line, I'm thinking TV might have extra appeal this weekend.

I may jog around the block later tonight to work off the Twinkies, but another week of low miles was okay with me. All-in-all, I'm feeling much better than when the week started. I plan on running something up-tempo on Monday (maybe a few 800's) and then five or six miles on Tuesday and a few more on Thursday morning before we fly west.

The first race starts Friday at 7:15 Pacific time. The weather at the start is expected to be near freezing, but sunny and dry. The highlight of the first day is an 800-foot climb in the last four miles. Crap.

5 comments:

Amy said...

You're amazing, Scott. I hope you have a fantastic run. Well.. three fantastic runs. Can't wait to hear about it!

MW said...

The Funnel had me confused, till i read powder! haha.

In your blog settings, go to main tab SETTINGS, then sub tab email.
"Mail-to-Blogger Address" allows you to set up an email address, to which you can easily email up a blog post. It would be really cool if you could just shoot up a quick blurb everyday, letting us know how you did, and how you're feeling, because we'll all be crossing our fingers and looking forward to hearing how you did!

You're going to do great! I'm kinda jealous!

kirsten said...

I agree with Mike...daily up dates will be eagerly awaited in Austin.
Enjoy the glorious weather and scenery. It will be good to get away from the real world for a while.
Have a great time and enjoy the races!

Unknown said...

That Floyd is a good guy. And I know how harrowing the new driver can be.

Good luck of your run. Remember, live in the moment and simply put one foot in front of the other.

You can do it!

Scott Mc said...

Many thanks! I'm packed and ready to go. Weather looks great and I just bought a new pair of shoes.